HIGH SCHOOL TTBB HONOR CHOIR
TTBB, grades 9-12
Dr. Jessica Napoles, conductor
University of North Texas
AUDITION/APPLICATION WINDOW: August 30, 2019 through October 7, 2019 (must be submitted by 11:59 pm)
AUDITION FEE: $30 (non-refundable)
PARTICIPATION FEES: (if accepted) - $170
October 7, 2019: Audition deadline (must be submitted by 11:59 pm)
October 28, 2019: Notification of selection
November 11, 2019: Participation confirmation (forms/participation fees due)
November 18, 2019: Honor choir music/info mailed to participants
March 5-7, 2019: Middle Level, SSAA HS, and TTBB HS rehearsals and performance
Questions regarding honor choirs can be directed to Lynn Seidl, Honor Choir Coordinator (Elementary, Middle, High School SSAA, and High School TTBB) at email@example.com.
1) Go to OpusEvent.com to submit audition recordings. Directors of students who audition must be current ACDA members. Login with your OpusEvent email and password.
2) Pay the audition fee on OpusEvent.com BEFORE uploading the audition. Auditions cannot be uploaded until the audition fee has been paid. Directors can have the Parent/Guardian pay this fee by selecting the audition application on your Home Page and then clicking on the Email Paylink option (this link is found above your list of applications).
Sample email text: “Your child is planning to audition for a Cental/North Central Honor Choir, rehearsing and performing in Milwaukee, WI during the 2020 C/NC American Choral Directors Association Joining Voice Conference, March 4-7, 2019. Specific dates for your child’s honor choir are found on the organization website. At this time, please submit $30 audition fee using the link provided in this email.”
3) Do not state the student name, grade, school or director information on any of the recordings.
4) Record and upload each of the 3 audition elements as separate tracks. The director is responsible to ensure that each student’s auditions are uploaded correctly and ethically. The student listed is performing each audition element. Each audition element adheres to all given directions including key provided. Each audition element is uploaded under the correct category.
5) Check the OpusEvent.com verification statement: “I verify that each recording adheres to the guidelines of the digital ethics agreement and has not been manipulated or enhanced in any way.”
DO NOT LIST student name, grade, school or director information on any of the recordings. Each of the 3 audition elements must be recorded and uploaded as SEPARATE TRACKS.
Sing a major scale, UNACCOMPANIED, in the key corresponding with your voice type. You may use numbers, solfège, or a neutral syllable. Humming is not permitted. Your teacher may provide the starting pitch.
All TTBB Scales
Tenor 1 – F, fourth line of bass clef, ascending then descending
Tenor 2 – E flat, third space of bass clef, ascending then descending
Bass 1 – D, third line of bass clef, ascending then descending
Bass 2 – F, fourth line of bass clef, descending then ascending
2-America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee)
Sing the first verse of America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee) at a moderate tempo, UNACCOMPANIED, in one of the keys listed below, appropriate for your voice part. STATE THE KEY in which you are singing BEFORE you begin. Your teacher may provide the starting pitch.
T1 – B major (starting pitch=B below Middle C)
T2 – A Major (starting pitch=A below Middle C)
B1 – E Major (starting pitch=E below Middle C)
B2 – D Major (starting pitch=D below Middle C)
Sing 60-90 seconds of a Folk Song (such as The Water is Wide, Shenandoah, Down in the Valley, etc.), an Art Song, a Hymn, or an Aria in English or other language. Limit the introduction to 5 seconds. Pop music of any type will not be accepted. The solo may be sung with or without accompaniment. The solo should demonstrate the best quality and range of the voice.
DIGITAL ETHICS AGREEMENT
Sponsoring teachers and students are responsible for adhering to the following digital ethics agreement.
1) Sound files may not be manipulated or enhanced in any way. Record in a traditional rehearsal space. The space should not
be too “live” (like a cathedral) or too “dead” (like a carpeted room with a low ceiling) to avoid the impression of an enhanced recording. If the recording is determined to have been altered, the student will not be eligible for participation. The ACDA Executive Committee’s decision will be final.
2) The sponsoring teacher must be in the room when the audition is recorded. If there are multiple teachers in a school/program, this may be delegated to a member of the team.
HOUSING AND MEALS
Parents or legal guardians are responsible for making housing reservations for their singers in the Central/NCACDA designated hotel. Hotel contact information will be included in acceptance letters. Accepted participants MUST stay in the designated hotel. The cost of meals and other expenses is the responsibility of each singer/family. Parents or legal guardians are responsible for all supervision when singers are not in rehearsal or performance. Commuting will not be permitted.
ACDA Honor Choir policy requires one parent or legal guardian to chaperone and be housed with his/her child in the same room. In the event that a parent or legal guardian is unable to attend the conference, the parent or legal guardian may appoint another adult to serve as chaperone and, upon the singer’s acceptance, must indicate this intent in the registration form.